Dundee Internet Services
Internet Acceptable Use Policy
- Use of Dundee Internet Services, Inc., (DISI) for illegal activities of any kind,
including unauthorized use (or attempted unauthorized use) of DISI's, machines or other
machines on the Internet, forging header information or user identification information,
and software piracy is prohibited.
- Posting or transmitting any information or software which contains a virus,
cancelbot, trojan horse, worm, or other harmful component is prohibited.
- DISI places no content restrictions on newsgroups except that (a) no illegal
content is permitted and (b) each newsgroup sets its own policies about what are
appropriate topics for discussion.
- Posting 20 or more copies of the same article ("spamming") or continued
posting of off-topic articles is prohibited. Commercial advertisements are off-topic in
virtually all Usenet newsgroups (exceptions include the biz.* hierarchy).
- Excessive crossposting (Breidbart Index 20 or greater) is prohibited. The
Breidbart Index (or BI) is calculated by taking the sum of the square roots of the number
of newsgroups each copy of an article was crossposted to. If two articles are posted, one
crossposted to 9 newsgroups and the other crossposted to 16 newsgroups, the BI =
sqrt(9)+sqrt(16) = 3+4 = 7. For more information on "spam," see the FAQ on
"Current Usenet spam thresholds and guidelines" which is regularly posted to the
news.admin.net-abuse.misc newsgroup by Chris
Lewis. Articles which are "spam" originating from DISI
will be cancelled by DISI and the originator may be charged for the cost of cleanup and
responding to complaints.
- Posting articles with forged header information (e.g., a falsified
"From:" field) is prohibited. Use of anonymous remailers is acceptable use, so
long as the use is not otherwise illegal.
- For more information on DISI's Usenet policies see paragraphs 22 and 23 of the user agreement.
- Sending harassing or mass unsolicited e-mail is prohibited. Forging header
information in e-mail is prohibited. Use of programs such as mflash, Floodgate, or storage
of such programs on DISI's servers is prohibited.
- For more information on DISI's e-mail policies, see paragraphs 22 and 23 of the user agreement.
Internet Relay Chat
- Use of IRC bots or storing them on DISI's servers is prohibited. Impersonating
other users by forging one's email address is prohibited.
World Wide Web
- Use of web pages for advertising purposes requires a DISI Business Account.
Reselling web space, selling advertising on a web site, or taking credit card orders
requires a DISI commercial account. For more information, see the
DISI Internet Services pages.
- Pages containing pornography or nude images may not be stored on DISI's web
servers. Any other adult-oriented material should have warning and disclaimer pages, if
not password protection.
- Use of text or images created by others without their permission is copyright
infringement and is prohibited.
- Sites which receive extremely high traffic may be required to move from the user
web server to another DISI web server.
Public FTP Sites
- Use of DISI's FTP server for advertising purposes requires a DISI commercial
account. Reselling FTP space is prohibited.
- Files containing pornography or nude images may not be stored on DISI's FTP
- Using DISI's FTP server for the exchange of pirated software or software designed
to facilitate copyright infringement, unauthorized use of computer systems, credit card
fraud, or other illegal activity is prohibited. See paragraph 20 of the user agreement for more information.